12.3.07

fate fucks with me, part 1

For the past two years now, I've been frantically searching for a used hardback copy of Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. About a month ago, I gave in and reluctantly purchased (new) the book in paperback, which even when new is unfortunately kind of flimsy and has painfully small print. When we checked out of Borders, I remarked to Heather (and this is true) that I would go to the Lakeview museum in about a month and find the book in hardback for cheap.

Lo and behold, a near-perfect copy, in hardback, was sitting on the science shelf in the Lakeview museum. The price? Five dollars. I nearly shat myself when I found it. I nearly shat myself again when I realized I didn't have enough money to buy it (I was short by a dollar) but I managed to dig up a few extra quarters and hastily purchased it.

So now I have two copies of the same book.

Fuck.

It's a good thing this book is so great. Otherwise, I'd be pissed.

In other news, I also picked up Sir James George Frazer's The Golden Bough, Desmond Morris' The Naked Ape, and Stephen Jay Gould's Wonderful Life. All in all, a good day.

It was also 70 degrees and sunny all day, which in itself is enough to put me in a great mood. I spent most of the day driving around Peoria, pawning/trading books.

I think I might actually write something thoughtful in my next update. Maybe.

No comments: